2020 Summer eLearning High School Program Brochure
High School Virtual Learning Program
Each eLearning course meets district requirements and state curriculum. Each lesson is taught virtually by a content-certified instructor utilizing video lectures, web-based reinforcement, vocabulary, instructional examples, guided practice, and assessment. Students always know their progress and work is graded instantly. Popular features include pausing and rewatching lectures, taking and using eNotes, reviewing and taking assessments until the material is mastered. Students also have the additional support of an eLearning facilitator. This is an experienced eLearning certified teacher who provides student motivation, encouragement, and support in developing the skills needed to navigate through their coursework.
One of the true benefits of online learning is having the flexibility of 24-hour course access anywhere a computer can access the Internet. Students should expect to invest a minimum of 45-60 hours to complete each course (students needing to retake assessments to achieve mastery will need significantly more time) and be present in the eLearning lab to take tests and the final exam. Upon enrollment, students will receive information regarding lab hours.
Students must take exams on-site or virtually by appointment. Due to the circumstances surrounding the pandemic, all other assessments will be available to students at home.
Students are expected to complete their courses by August 13, 2020.
If you wish to be eligible for Fall sports, you must complete your course by August 1.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE!
- Support will be provided by email, phone call or video chat. Being onsite is not a requirement for daily work, quizzes or tests, however, exams must be monitored. Appointments will be made to facilitate the taking of exams.
- Only one course enrollment will be accepted at a time.
- Cost: MPS Student, $150 per course; Non-MPS Student, $175 per course.
- All students are to follow MPS Student Code of Conduct and Acceptable Use Policies and a signed form must be on file prior to using MPS computers
- Students will only be contacted using their MPS issued email address! Any other email address will not be utilized for summer school purposes unless student does not have an MPS email address.
- There are no refunds once a course has been started.
- Students are responsible for making the correct course choice.
- Payment is required to ensure enrollment.
- Online course credits do count in a student’s G.P.A.
- All courses are to be completed by August 13.
Summer Program FAQ
Q: Can most of the coursework be done at home?
A: Yes. Students can work wherever they have an Internet connection and a device that can connect to the Internet.
Q: Can a course be finished early?
A: Yes. Our summer program is self-paced. A course can be finished at any time as long as it is completed within the dates of the summer program.
Q: Can tests be taken at home?
A: Yes, however, tests and exams must be monitored. Appointments will be made to facilitate the taking of exams.
Q: Can several tests be taken on one visit to computer lab?
A: Yes. The eLearning Facilitator can work with you one this. The program can be set up so that students can complete several units at once, then come in and take the respective tests.
Q. May I start my coursework early?
A. Coursework may begin early once the student is registered and the eLearning Facilitator has agreed to set the course up and has provided student orientation.
Q. May I take more than one course?
A. These are full semester courses, so this would be very difficult to do. If you complete your first course by the mid-session deadline, you may register and start a second course.
Q. How do I decide which course to take?
A. It is strongly suggested students discuss this with their counselor prior to registration.
Q. What if I need help or need to take a test but cannot meet at the times the eLearning Facilitator has office hours?
A. Contact the eLearning facilitator as soon as possible. Most situations can be handled within a day.
Location: Course support will be available at the following location:
Course support will be available virtually and at the following location when deemed safe by the State of Michigan (You will be notified when this is available):
PATHS Learning Center
Midland High School
1301 Eastlawn Drive
Dates: June 15 - August 13, 2020
Class Times: Lab/office hours will be made available to you once you have registered.
Cost: $150 per course for MPS Students $175 per course for Out of District Students
If you have any questions regarding these courses, please contact your school counselor.